:Insert Inspirational Phrase Here:

The place where thoughts get thought out. Or something like that.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Flatland

So.. I'm in Minneapolis. (Or is it St. Paul, I'm not exactly sure where the line is)

It's a very nice place. Not to humid. People seem nice enough. Things are (relatively) quiet and easygoing.

But I'm struck by how everything seems so... flat.

It's really nice, though.

I've been working here for a couple of days, and I have to say: I really do enjoy it. I could see myself maybe retiring here someday. I know that I probably don't see the bad things about the city here, when I'm staying in a nice hotel and working at a nice place, but the skewed view of the city that I'm enjoying makes it seem like a great place to me.

Went to an Irish pub today. Just for lunch; didn't have the time or incllination to get anything alcoholic. I know that you're expecting the part where I describe it as loud an raucus.

Couldn't be farther from the truth. (of course, this might just be because it's during the day)

I've just come back from checking out War of the Worlds again at a local mall theater. It wasn't the movie that really stunned me, when I finally sat down and thought about it. It was the mall itself. It had such an... 80's feel, I suppose I have to call it. It made me feel like malls did when I was young. Maybe it was the appearance, or the mystery of not knowing any of the stores, but it did make me feel like I was in a strange new place.

Hell the theater did that too.

A quick aside: living in Los Angeles, most of the theaters that I visit are of the Stadium Seating Variety (you know, the kind where the person in front of you has to be 10 feet tall to block your view). I've really gotten used to it, and truth to tell, I've not been in a theater outside of the Greater Los Angeles Area in close to 7 years.

So, going to the theater here was kind of different. Shocking, almost.

The theater itself was a blast from the past. The popcorn was kept in the glass cases in the front of the counter, while the snacks and such weren't really displayed (counter to the usual, popcorn machine in the back, with candy with LOUD and OUTRAGEOUS advertising in the cases). The theater itself had the traditional theater seating (wherein a man with an overly tall haircut could block the screen for you). To top it all off, there were only 8 people in the theater itself (counting me, of course). It was a nostalgic throwback to my youth.

Makes you realize how old you're getting. But you know what?

I loved it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home