:Insert Inspirational Phrase Here:

The place where thoughts get thought out. Or something like that.

Monday, February 14, 2005

A German Castle

I saw a real live castle the other day. It was big. It had been razed, burnt to the core. On some parts of it, you could still see the scorch marks that the flames left on the stones. Towers and whatnot were broken, vital parts of them strewn along the ground like children's toys. The new caretakers seem to have preserved things pretty well. Although nothing was rebuilt, what was still standing had iron railings and such in place, keeping the rest of it from falling into further ruin.
It made me think.
Was the place that I was standing the same place that someone died?
Did some brave soul stand his ground against a charging steed? Did he hold his sword high, willing to strike down this stranger who came to threaten his home and his loved ones? Was he a hero, falling in honorable combat? Was he a coward, fleeing from the scene only to be struck from behind?

Admittedly, I don't know any of the history of the castle, and not knowing anything about it, I don't think I could really say what happened there. I know I could look it up, find out the circumstances during which the castle fell...

But I don't know.

I think I like the idea of my brave defender, dying against a superior force, but courageous enough to stand his ground and give his loved ones enough time to escape.

I guess its just the escapist in me, eh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home